OPM administers entitlement to veterans' preference in employment under title 5, United States Code, and oversees other statutory employment requirements in titles 5 and 38. As HR professionals and Hiring Managers, it is important to understand veterans’ eligibility and their specific rights and benefits in Federal employment.
We want veterans to view the Federal Government as the employer of choice and we aim to provide agency officials with the tools and resources needed to successfully hire a veteran. Your partnership in this endeavor will ensure its success!
The following information is intended to be a handy reference in your daily operations.
- Veteran Employment Program Offices - an agency officer or employee with full-time responsibility for its Veterans Employment Program. The Veteran Employment Program Managers are an invaluable resource for human capital professionals, leadership and hiring managers on the potential of veterans, integrating veteran's recruitment, hiring, development and retention into workforce consistent with law and merit system principles.
- Overview of Special Hiring Authorities– Veterans appointing authorities can bring qualified veterans to the fore and speed the selection process.
- Vet Guide - The VetGuide provides a comprehensive description of the special rights and privileges that veterans enjoy with respect to Federal employment.
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) - USERRA protects civilian job rights and benefits for veterans and members of Reserve components. USERRA also makes major improvements in protecting service member rights and benefits by clarifying the law, improving enforcement mechanisms, and adding Federal Government employees to those employees already eligible to receive Department of Labor assistance in processing claims.
- Reasonable Accommodations - Federal agencies are required by law to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified employees with disabilities. Reasonable accommodations can apply to the duties of the job and/or where and how job tasks are performed.
- eBenefits - A Department of Veterans Affairs website where employers can post jobs and search verified job seeker profiles and more
- DOL-VETS - A Department of Labor website providing employment resources and expertise, and protecting veteran’s employment rights.
- Veterans.gov – The site connects veterans and employers through job banks, state employment offices and American Job Centers.
- Understanding VEOA and USERRA – Information on enforceable rights under VEOA and USERRA.
- Statutes & Regulations – Laws and regulations intended to be a handy reference in your daily operations.
- Transmittals – Relevant news and transmittals related to veterans' employment.