The Forest Service is excited to hire excepted service eligible applicants, such as Veterans and persons with disabilities (Schedule A). Applications will be accepted on www.usajobs.gov, December 16 – 20, 2016. Positions include forestry technicians (GS-5), engineering technicians (GS-5) and visitor information assistants (GS-5). Jobs are available throughout the United States.
- US Citizenship
- High School diploma or G.E.D.
- If declaring Veteran status, you must submit DD-214, SF-15 or VA documentation
- If you’re applying as a Schedule A applicant, you must submit a Schedule A letter certifying you meet the criteria set forth in 5 CFR 213.3102 (u). Medical documentation is not accepted.
- Applicants must apply on www.usajobs.gov. Job vacancy announcements open at 12:01 a.m. (Eastern Time) on Friday, December 16, 2016 and close at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time) on Tuesday, December 20, 2016.
- Login or sign up for an account. Build or upload a resume on the USAJobs site.
- Search for job announcement using search criteria such as location or job title. Follow the application process as outlined by the USAJobs site.
- For assistance, go to: http://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Main_Page.
For more detailed requirement and duty location information, visit www.fs.fed.us/workfornature or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
“When I am at Career Fairs, many veterans express how much they prefer working in the Great Outdoors. All the approximately 125 jobs we are filling are for either positions working mostly in the outdoors, or working in the Visitors Office of a National Forest providing information about the Forest to visitors.”
By Jerry McGaughran
National Disability Employment Program Manager/ DEPM
(Disabled Vet/PWD/Student Recruitment Outreach)
US Forest Service
Attached are helpful handouts and tips from the US Forest Service:
Tips on Pursuing Fed Employment-Competitively and Non-Competitively
US Forest Service's list of current & upcoming job vacancies & contacts
Wildland Fire Careers for Veterans- “A New Front Line”- video for veterans about a wildland fire career
Veterans and People with Disabilities- How to post your credentials in USDA Database: If you are eligible for noncompetitive hire under Schedule A, VRA/Veterans Recruitment Appointment, 30% or More Disabled Veterans Authority
Fed Employers- free access to credentials of 2,000+ Schedule A Eligibles: Workforce Recruitment Program’s (WRP) credentials database of 2,000+ students/recent graduates (AA to PhD/JD’s) newly developed yearly by trained Fed Recruiters for Fed Agencies
Special Perm Hiring Authority for Forest Service Temp/Term employees: Q’s & A’s how long-term temps/terms can now apply under Merit Promotion like other Perm Feds
Video of Forest Service Employees talking about their jobs